Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Happy Burns Night

Burns Night, 1947


This article about the United Scottish Societies dinner honoring Robert Burns is dated 1947. At the far left is my grandpa's oldest brother, David Hood. I recently learned (or relearned) that my Uncle David came to America 100 years ago this month. He arrived on the Furnessia on January 4th, 1911. I wonder if would have been so keen on haggis and toasting the immortal memory if he had remained in Scotland.

I never attended Burns' Night growing up. In fact, I probably would have been hard pressed to tell you who he was.  My first Burns' Night was in Scotland. I went to the Research Club at Glasgow University with my roommates. We were served tiny wee scoops of haggis, neeps and tatties.  I have to admit, it wasn't bad.  Although, my opinion might be different if the scoops had been bigger.

I have no idea how the scan of this clipping appeared on my computer. It is in fact, only one of two pictures my mom and I have of  Unicle David. The second is of him (in a kilt), his wife and their daughter.  If you have pictures of David Hood that you would be willing to scan and send to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

No comments: